WALKS FOR 2023
Diary Dates for 2023 – all walks begin at 2pm – some near the office others from the front gate – where walks will begin will be advised at a later date
Cost: $15 per person [cash as we do not have credit card facilities] Booking is essential – Lois on 9558 4248
Open House Melbourne at the Brighton General Cemetery [cnr North & Hawthorn Rds, Caulfield South] on Saturday July 29th 2023
Come along on the day for;
- Self Guided Walks anytime from 10am – 3pm
- Organised Walks at 11am & 2pm.
- Do you need help in locating where someone is buried??
- A rare opportunity to view inside the Boardroom and Minister’s Room as part of the Lodge that is not normally opened.
- The Boardroom and Minister’s Room was built in 1929.
Established in 1854 Brighton General Cemetery is a Victorian garden cemetery of heritage significance and renowned throughout Australia for the many notable military figures and artists buried within its grounds and is the resting place of some of Melbourne’s most significant pioneers.
For more information phone Lois on 9558 4248
AGM 6th August 2023 The Forgotten Chinese of Melbourne.
Murrumbeena Bowls Club – 10 Blackwood St, Carnegie. 1.15 for 1.30 start
Many Melburnians are unaware the Chinese have lived in Australia for over 150 years.
The tracks of those original migrants are invisible or lost in time. This presentation will discuss three different projects that bring these people back into the limelight:
- Chinese Market gardens of Melbourne
- The Victorian Certificates Exempting from Dictation Test (CEDT) Index Project
- Chinese graves in the Melbourne General Cemetery.
Terry Young is a first generation Chinese Australian whose father and grandfather were Chinese market gardeners in Victoria. He is currently Vice President of the Chinese Australian family Historians of Victoria.
October 15th Melbourne Grammar School Walk – Highlighting a few of their past pupils and their parents
*Flag Commemoration 3rd November – when another 50 flags will be placed – in all 200 flags.
*Remembrance Day Walk November 5th As part of the FLAG PROJECT where we will have 50 Australian Flag attached to a pole at the side of Veterans graves to publicly commemorate the role of our Men and Women as part of the Australian war effort from 3rd November to the 13th November
On this walk we will visit 8 service persons who have been honoured with a flag.
For all our walks – Cost $15 per person [cash] – Bookings Essential 9558 4248
*December 3rd – Christmas Lunch to be served at 12 noon in the Lodge at the Brighton Cemetery. Cost $20 per person.
THEN & NOW
Non Denominational D
Sister Leah Rosenthal QAIMNSR, MM, ARRC
A plaque unveiling was held for Sister Leah Rosenthal QAIMNSR, MM, ARRC was held on Sunday 16th May 2021, everyone enjoyed a cuppa before we walked to where Leah lies resting.
Our President, Malcolm Gray welcomed everyone. Jane Annois spoke about her Great Great Aunt where we reflected on her bravery and extraordinary work that she did in the first World War and at Vimy House.
Jane together with her sister Kathy and brother Richard unveiled Leah’s plaque.
Leah was born in 1879 to Joseph Rosenthal and his wife Martha née Avinski. She graduated as a nurse at the Alfred Hospital in 1904 and continued her nursing career there until 1910 when she & Belle Jobson took over the running of Windarra Private Hospital in Toorak. Leah in her fourth year of active service with the Army at Flanders was awarded the Royal Red Cross Medal. On more than one occasion she had been recommended for honours by her commanding Officer and matron for heroic conduct at casualty stations under shell fire. Leah was attached to the first casualty station and travelled around France where she saw many atrocities. When Leah returned to Australia she and her friend Belle bought an existing Private Hospital in Queens Road, overlooking Albert Park Lake, which they named Vimy House. And ran for 10 years until her death on 4 October 1930 and was buried with her sister Fanny – Jewish H Graves 86 & 87
Wiliam BRAHE plaque unveiling – 8th May 2021
Born – 16 January 1835 – Paderborn, Germany
Died – 16 September 1912 – Elwood
Gold prospector, drover, farmer and one of the last surviving members of the Burke and Wills Expedition to die.
When Burke set out from Cooper’s Creek with a bare 3 months supplies on his ‘dash’ to the Gulf of Carpentaria, he left William in charge of the camp.
After waiting more than four months, and with his own supplies running low, he finally decided to abandon the camp on 21 April 1861, leaving the “DIG” tree on Cooper’s Creek
Our Guest Speaker – Dr Douglas McCann gave a very informative talk which was enjoyed by all.
The plaque was unveiled by David Brahe, the great grandson of William
Refreshments were served on and around the verandah of the Lodge.