The Brighton General Cemetery is located in Caulfield South and is one of Melbourne’s oldest and most significant burial grounds.
Twenty-nine acres was reserved in 1853 and in December 1854 the first Trustees were appointed making it the oldest continuous Cemetery Trust in Melbourne. Since the first recorded burial on 14 October 1855, over 66,000 interments have taken place.
On the 1st March 2010, Cheltenham & Regional Cemeteries Trust along with Springvale Cemetery became part of the Southern Metropolitan Cemeteries Trust.
Brighton General Cemetery is a Victorian garden cemetery of heritage significance and renowned throughout Australia for the many notable military figures and artists.
In April 2007 the trust was abolished and the Brighton Cemetery became amalgamated as part of the Cheltenham and Regional Cemetery Trust.